There’s just something about Kym. I have always loved her style — being Australian, I’ve been following her ever since her days as a stylist. It’s been very cool to see her influence on fashion grow so much, but I admire her most for staying true to her beach roots (super important in Sydney!!).
In a way, she really epitomizes what fashion in Australia is all about: being able to go from beachwear to something really elegant and tailored in a heartbeat. Or, you know, throw something on quickly to feed the kookaburra that’s in your backyard…
1. Describe your style in three words.
Tailored. Fluid. Architectural.
2. How do you get ready in the mornings?
Every morning, I wake up and meditate on my balcony facing the ocean. This gets my mind prepared for what is usually a crazy busy day at the studio. I then eat breakfast and love to have organic free range eggs; partly because they’re nutritious but also because they are delicious! My partner Luke is amazing at cooking eggs, so I have renamed him ‘The Egg Whisperer.”
I also love to swim before work each day, so often go to the beach to jump into the salty water just before heading into the studio.Then I get ready and put on a look for work, which ranges from smart to casual, depending on what the day ahead holds.
3. You live by the beach, north of Sydney. How does your lifestyle influence your personal style?
I must admit I often don’t fit into the general beachside aesthetic at my local village during the week, however, come the weekend, I love to dive into some relaxed denim, cotton shirts and slide shoes — classic, island style.
4. But what is your ultimate outfit for a nighttime event?
I love to wear black, so I would say something in black satin with a touch of Japanese sensibility.
5. And your fragrance?
6. You launched Ellery in Australia. In what ways are the designs uniquely Australian?
Unbeknownst to most, many Australian women are incredibly stylish. Perhaps it’s the remoteness of our nation that makes us put in more effort, but Australian women love to “dress”.
Like Australia, my brand is young. Essentially, I think it is both the cuts and that youth that makes my designs uniquely Australian.
7. And you’ve also taken it international, namely to New York and Paris. To what extent are Ellery designs informed by international tastes?
As the brand has grown, I have had the pleasure of traveling a lot and meeting many, many buyers from all corners of the globe. Organically, this has exposed me to a vast array of international tastes and has helped me to be more concise when designing the collection. It’s an ongoing journey and I love to see the range develop and grow.
8. When you travel, what are the items that you always include in your suitcase?
I always travel with a sharp mechanical pencil, dry shampoo, a selection of cashmere sweaters, black flared pants and my favourite fragrance.
9. You were a stylist (including years working at RUSSH) prior to starting your label. Do you still find you approach dressing daily with a stylist’s mindset?
I love to plan my looks for the week, but often the week becomes chaotic and I find myself wearing the same favourite pieces in my wardrobe. It’s on those days that I feel jealous of Karl Lagerfeld who has just one perfect look for himself.
10. Do you have a fashion muse?
Anita Pallenberg circa The Rolling Stones, Tilda Swinton and Charlotte Rampling.
I also adore Léa Seydoux. She is incredibly sexy and I love each role she’s played on film. What a woman.