No really, how does one wear a dress in winter? This is a question which not only perplexed Garance, but the whole team. We spend months gleefully sashaying through the days of summer, bearing our legs and enjoying the breeze from our feminine frocks. But can that same girlish charm be accomplished in winter or are we stuck with jeans and a sweater for 4 long months?
Below, a few ideas to apply and try in your own wardrobe:
1. I strongly believe in wearing as many layers as possible as long as you are comfortable and have full range of motion for all limbs. This idea comes naturally with the shirtdress – adding a fitted sweater / warm vest that hits around the same length as the dress, before adding the final layer of coat at a length of your discretion.
2. Additionally, don’t be afraid to wear pants under a dress! I know, I KNOW, it seems too fashion. But when you have the option to wear heat tech leggings under a pair of loosely fit trousers wouldn’t you like to take that option? The trick is, wear a pant that has the same drape as your dress, i.e. silky dress paired with fluid pant.
3. A spring summer dress CAN be worn in winter. Simple suggestions to making this work: a good pair of tights for the mini versions and a ridiculously cozy oversized sweater. Done and done.
4. Over the knee boots are the perfect leg warmer for those of us not inclined to a wardrobe more similar to that of a ballerina. They work especially well under an otherwise evening appropriate lace embroidered dress!
5. Oh, do you also love a slip dress? Welcome to the club! I wear mine all year long, with athletic leggings (via Céline fall 2016), with a slim sweater over, and just to mix it up – yes, even with a skinny jean (a very rare appearance indeed). No real way to explain, but these things just work!