Do you work in an office building?
There’s this funny thing about working in a communal atmosphere that makes you think twice about how you should go about doing day to day activities . Like :
1. Do you stop talking in the elevator? or continue your conversation (no matter how private)?
A. At the studio we never stop talking, no matter who comes in the elevator. BUT, half the industry is in the building so I suppose we should be more careful.
2. What do you do when you go into the bathroom and both stalls are occupied? Awkwardly wait or just as awkwardly leave and let the attendees hear the door shut?
A. I generally do the latter and leave and even more awkwardly stalk the bathroom from the office to see if someone left.
3. Are we supposed to say hello to everyone in the building?
A. Yes, of course, that’s nice isn’t it?!
4. Is it ok to brush your teeth in the bathroom?
A. I say no. Too personal, I barely know which office you came from.
5. Can you flirt with someone who works in the building? Like if there’s a really cute guy from the Saturday’s floor can you just go up there…
A. Not sure on this one, but the elevator opens up right to their office so pretty easy to walk right in. Just saying…
6. Should you reach over everyone to hit your floor in the elevator or just ask generally and hope someone pushes it?
A. I always get in first so I tend to hit my own button :)
7. When there’s a huge queue at the elevator terminals, should you bum rush into the first one that opens (even though you’re the one who was running late and technically the last one there)?
A. Be polite. Wait it out, the remaining people are probably less stressed and therefore a nicer elevator ride.
Ok so that’s just a few things, what do you think twice about in the workplace?